Ozblog

Somewhere, over the rainbow, a blog is born. A blog for Kansas. A blog for America. A blog by a reporter with a difficult-to-pronounce last name. But most importantly, a blog that is AMERICA'S ONLY PLACE dedicated to the vital intersection of politics and Sunflowers. The Heartland gods nod in wise approval.

Thursday, October 21, 2004

1,288 miles to Regina

Ron L. from Wichita writes:

I think that I will need to drive from Wichita, Kansas to Saskatchewan to get a flu shot, since the United States cannot provide for its own people.

It's better to burn out, than fade away - Def Leppard

That might not be the only reason you'd want to go to Canada, Ron -- but if you do, better load up on gas. MapQuest says it's 1,288 miles from Wichita to Regina (you zigzag a bit, though, driving east to I-29 in KC, then veering northwest again from Fargo). And those Canadian gas prices'll nail ya. AND, you best not be quoting Def Leppard to our friendly neighbors to the north when that lyric can be traced to the immortal Neil Young -- "Out of the Blue."

My my, hey hey
Rock and roll is here to stay
It's better to burn out
Than to fade away
My my, hey hey.

Sigh ... you ever have those mornings when you set the alarm for six, you wake up at four-forty five and you're like, oh well, might as well get a jump on the day? I'm alone in the office right now, waiting for the first Knight Ridder Tribune editors to crawl in and wishing someone had filled the plastic pumpkin with candy last night -- I could really use a Crunch bar. I'm thinking of just forgetting about election news and devoting my life to reading every published detail about Christina Aguilera, but before long I wouldn't even have gas money to get to Saskatchewan, and then what? Back to the grind ... I participated in a panel at Wichita State University yesterday via telephone, and had an interesting discussion on polling. Tracking polls have shown everything from a tie to a fairly secure Bush lead, but they're all a combination of art and science, and the fact is, we really don't know. What we do know is that people make their decisions based on really weird factors, and yet the Republic endures.

Libertarian congressional candidate Dennis Hawver of KS-2's upset he isn't included in a televised debate. ... Moderate Republicans are once again the key voters in KS-3, according to the Johnson County Sun. Here's a link to Sen. Sam Brownback's recent USA Today column on media decency, and an article on congressional recipes including Mo. Sen. Jim Talent's macadamia delight and Brownback's Napa salad.

Napa salad ... guess you never know. So here's to Napa salad. And ephemeral poll numbers, and Canada road trips and to those Ralph Nader supporters last night who broke my heart with their bittersweet, doomed anger-idealism -- you know who you are.

To imperfect perceptions, on a day that could have started later and already feels behind. Still nobody here, and someone needs to bring candy.

Hey hey, my my
Rock and roll can never die
There's more to the picture
Than meets the eye.
Hey hey, my my.